Like the opening credits of a film, the tutorial is often a wasted opportunity. Regardless of how easy you think your game is, the tutorial is the player’s first experience with your game, and it counts. 75% of mobile users who download a game only open it once. Here are four ways to put your game in the other 25%.

Show, Don’t Tell

  • Don’t teach your players, let them teach themselves.
  • Tangential Learning: People will educate themselves on a topic if it is presented to them in a context they already enjoy.

Maintain Player’s Flow

  • Build your tutorial with flow in mind by:
    • Giving clear objectives.
    • Limiting the array of stimuli.
    • Giving instant feedback.
    • Keeping pace with the player’s skill level.

Consider Styles of Learning

  • The VARK model covers four basic learning styles: visual, auditory, physical, and social.

    • To accommodate these styles:
      • Represent ideas as images.
      • Use audio feedback.
      • Let players learn through trial and error and the examples of others.
    • Make the most important information easily accessible throughout the game.

Balance Their Experience

  • Game dev Asher Vollmer believes every tutorial must:
    • Comfort players by keeping things simple, clear, and letting them experiment.
    • Excite players by showing them the possibilities of the game.
    • Respect players by asking instead of telling.

Full GAMASUTRA article 

Our website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience. Read our Privacy Policy.

What would you like to learn about?